19 October 2009

My Beloved and Me


Personalized evangelism has become a central concern over the past few years. This song looks at what sharing the story of eternal love might look like in 21st century culture. And it sort of reminds me of the Greyhound trip from Nashville to Little Rock in 1997 when I barfed up the Nashville bus station hashbrowns on the shoes of the undercover narcotics officer outside the Memphis station!


Lyrics: Jeff Kreh



Dearly Beloved and I
strolled through the old part of town
and there met a beard stained with whiskey and time
begging a mere happy meal and some wine
a mere happy meal and some wine


His son would be passing by soon
and he needed a gift for his son
because little boys look to papaws for dreams
of “what on earth are we here for?”
Woe, and what on earth are we here for?”


Reaching deep gave him everything asked
took him home, 
gave a shave and a bath and a comb
a new change of clothes
socks and shoes, 
trimmed his toes
and when asked, “goodness, why?”
with tear in eye
I told him a story my own
I told him a story my own


I told him, “my own grandpa I never knew,
but my mother's dad saved him for me
to a land of delight where the wine ever flows
and there's bread enough for all to eat.”
There's bread enough for all to eat.


He patiently sat as the story unveiled
of “one fateful day by a tree”
and later that night in the cold Tennessee
he came to his senses and free
he became my Beloved and me


Dearly Beloved and I
strolled through the old part of town...



No comments:

Post a Comment