21 February 2010

Time

That song, "If I could have time in a bottle..." I remember going to a the hospital with my dad and hearing him talk with a doctor. That song was playing on the radio in the lounge and dad said to the doctor something along the lines of, "that would be the best selling drink of all time."

Time does keep on ticking, ticking, ticking. It seems like each day is shorter than the last one and we're already heading into another March before the smell of the douglas-fir has worn off.

Here's my theory (and why I'm feeling the need to press ahead with pursuing dreams and goals despite doubts and fears): since we are temporal beings, all we can do is observe our experiences through the relativity of the length of our stay on this planet to date. For me, that stay is nearing 38 years. When I was 2 years old, one year equaled 1/2 of my knowable experience (and so it seemed like a reeeeaaaallllyyyyy long time between Christmases). Today, that same year is simply 1/38th of my knowable experience. Add to this the complexity of an expanding universe and I'm not sure what's going on...

Which is no surprise to me... Only God can grasp the enormous prank on humanly divined wisdom that is the nature and confusing effect of time. Being made in His image means that time, for us, is like a fish living in air or a bird living underwater - it just doesn't work very long...not that "very long" means much of anything to the eternal nature of God in us.

Oh, to have time in a bottle...which is, I guess where it is - and I'm feeling contained within and waiting for Him to drink it dry so that I can be forever outside these confines. Glorious thought, to reach the ultimate expression of His original intent of my existence.

jkreh

No comments:

Post a Comment