16 December 2009

It's The Final Countdown

Cue 80's "hair band" music, folks. Today at 1:30 pm, if the Lord wills, I will go behind closed doors for the Master of Ministry exit interview armed with the rough-mixed "least" album. My reviewers will mentally scourge and flog me for up to 2 hours. Afterwards, I'll know whether or not to bother going by and picking up my cap and gown for Saturday's graduation ceremony (10 am 19 December 2009 in the Benson Auditorium on the Searcy, Arkansas Harding University campus - no cover charge...).

"least" is a tribute to work of Jesus of Nazareth in and through my life as a living, breathing "word" of God. "Under the Sun" sets the tone of duality by being a really fun reggae tune with a serious, dark, and brooding message about universal oppression in the world.

The next two songs on the album explore the roots of exodus by our postmodern friends from anything religious. "Sum Nothing Again" is the philosophical weirdness I went through a few years back. I think others, sadly, will relate to the hopelessness therein. "Porter" is what I saw growing up in a small, Southern, Christian, post-Vietnam War town. Fallen leaders, be they murderous physicians or racist religious and educational experts, are the porters at the doors to the gospel.

"Ishmael" generates awareness about the roots of our current global conflict between radical Islam and anyone who does not bow the knee to Allah. Jesus died so that all of His creation can be redeemed from hate and strife. My good friend, Tim, asked me upon first hearing this song, "are you trying to get yourself killed?" No, but it the gospel call is for all - including our Islamic friends.

While delivering a series of lessons on leadership to inmates at the Varner maximum security unit, one of the men brought up the thought of the power of forgiveness. That God has given us both the example of His forgiveness of our actions against His will and empowered us to extend that forgiveness, through the power of the gospel, is an amazing responsibility. Forgiveness is lived out in our daily lives when we hurt those around us and empower them to forgive us by seeking reconciliation. It is also expressed in our extreme privilege to look into the eyes of another soul and say, as Christ says, "of course I forgive you!"

The first step to receiving forgiveness is to admit that there is a problem. "To Any Looking In" is my humbly inadequate attempt to flesh out the problem of hypocrisy in the Christian world. This song was written at an extremely spiritually-deficient time in my life (and it shows in the critical nature of the lyrics). Again, I am saddened by the fact that many already have identified with these lyrics.

However, we can press on to the more yearning faith spoken of in "I See You". My life is a constant struggle between what Paul describes as a war between the Spirit and the Flesh. Like Peter, sometimes I find it easier to identify with those who are not living the Christian faith to the fullest. But friends like Paul keep me focused on denying myself and proclaiming Christ. Friends, I really can't wait until I get to see Jesus face to face.

"Anymore" is my personal statement against the consumer-driven, materially focused mindset that exists in Western culture. So much of my life has been chasing worthless goals and dreams - things that are self-serving and will not survive the trial by fire we will all endure. The problem with me is that I'm blind to what I'm blind to. "Lift the Veil" is a plea for God to remove the blindness of whatever "-ism" is standing between us spiritually.

When we see the world as Christ sees the world we will experience a constant burden for the spiritually blind in our time. This blindness is reinforced both by poverty and affluence, ignorance and education, slavery and freedom, and so much more. Seeing clearly allows us to walk with Christ, like a bride with her strong and perfect groom, through the streets of our past relationships and flawed decisions. "Dearly Beloved and I" is my take on friendship evangelism.

Ultimately, there is nothing more profound that has ever happened than Immanuel, "God is with us." When Jesus left His eternal home to make His habitation among us, at the very moment of conception within the womb of sweet, innocent Mary, He placed Himself on death-row. For His last meal, when He could have had anything at all, He choose fellowship over bread and wine. He has called each of us to be like Him, bread that gives comfort in fellowship and the wine of a sacrificial life. It is the least that we can do to share His message, by whatever talents or skills, words or deeds, gains or losses He blesses us to endure.

I sincerely hope that these songs will make sense as a grouping of thoughts. I pray God's blessings on hearers of this simple attempt to express a life of gratitude and service to His Kingdom. Please feel free to be as critical or praising as you desire. The latest versions will be uploaded to www.reverbnation.com/jeffkreh before graduation regardless of the today's exit interview.

1 comment:

  1. Truly this an exciting time! We're so proud of you and are so looking forward to hearing the finished product! God bless you dear brother!

    ReplyDelete